Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Givin' It Up

Alright people.  Here comes declaration time.  I am going to proclaim something on this blog so that when I am tempted to give up, I will realize that I then have to confess it to all (4) of you.

I was inspired by something I read on my friend Janet's blog.  She is giving up Dr. Pepper until Easter.  This may not sound like much to some of you who might not particularly be DP fans, but the girl loves her some Dr. Pepper.  It takes her to her happy place.  She is giving up something that she really, really enjoys in order to be open to what God might speak to her.  I applaud her for that.

I was already feeling this coming, but her post just nudged me over the edge.  I am going to give up soda, starting tomorrow.  Let's just say, I love me some soda, too.  I have one a day, and I know that it is neither good for me or good that I can't go a day without having one!  And just because I know myself and the fact that I might try to get around my own rule, I am going to be specific.  I am not going to drink any soda, including Dr. Pepper, Coke, Mt. Dew, etc.

(My Dad is going to be real happy about this.  He pretty much supplies my habit by keeping cold Mt. Dew's in the fridge out in his garage.  And since he just HAPPENS to live next door to us, there is easy access to said fridge.)


Random Fact: I googled the phrase "why soda is bad for you" and it came back with 9,490,000 results.  

I have a different goal than Easter in mind.  I am choosing to give up soda to prepare myself for a trip that I am going on.  Not only will I not have access to soda while on this trip, I don't want to give it up right before the trip and then have caffeine headaches or be a bit on the "cranky" side for the first few days.  I want to be free and clear of it so I can focus on why I am going.

And I am so excited!!  Because on March 21st I am leaving for.............


6 comments:

Karah said...

Good for you! I've given up diet coke recently - well, actually I gave up keeping it at home. I'll still drink it when we go out to eat or whatever - but no more at home. It's been a good 9 weeks or so I think. So good luck to you!!!!! At only one soda per day, I can't imagine that your headaches will be terrible - I was drinking like 3-4 per day. HAHA

And where are you going?? How can you leave us hanging like that?? LOL

Jen Price said...

That's great, Courtney! You won't DP's where you're going or Mt. Dew for that matter. Did you mean to write "tempted to quit" in the first paragraph?

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I will support you. Whatever you need. As long as I can do it from New Jersey. If you need me to talk you down off a caffeine ledge, I will be here for you.

Should I know where you're going?

Where are you going!?!?

John, Carla & Rae Shaw said...

Courtney,
You can save the DP's for me! You can't get DP's where you're going, but betting you can get Coke. It's pretty much world wide!

But good for you! You go girl!

Amy said...

OOOH Am I one of the privileged few who knows where you are going? I won't give it away, but trust me girls.... IT IS GOOD! :)

I have stopped drinking soda too... I still have sweet tea though... almost daily. I started connecting my upset stomach with the fact that they only came after I drank syrup soda. :)

Love you!

life with the wisners said...

oh friend. of COURSE you put it so eloquently. LOVE it. thanks for encouraging me. i love, love, love being your friend. and can't wait to encourage you as you encourage me. my little soda-free accountability partner.

God's already speaking to me. through my headaches. :) but speaking, nonetheless.