Friday, November 13, 2009

Chicken Scallopine

Chicken Scallopine has always been one of my favorite italian dishes. I needed to make a meal today for our friend Mindie that had a baby this past weekend, and this one fit all the parameters for a new mom:

Nothing Spicy
No Onions
No Beans
No Red Sauce

I found this particular recipe on Pioneer Woman's website. Can I just say....I Love The Pioneer Woman! And I am very excited that she will be coming to Dallas on Tuesday, December 1st to sign her cookbook at the Border's off Preston in Dallas.

This recipe was super easy. Start with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Pound them to equal thickness with a rolling pin.


Ummm....appetizing, huh?

Next, boil 1 lb. linguine. Set aside (you can always toss it in a little olive oil to keep it from sticking.)


Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt & pepper then dredge in flour (or drag, dredge just sounds cooler...) Put them in a pan with 4 T melted butter and 2T olive oil. Cook until golden brown.


Throw 12oz. of sliced mushrooms into the same pan.


Add 1 cup dry white wine and the juice from one lemon.



Reduce heat to low and stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream (I used half-and-half). At this point, Pioneer Woman adds a heaping Tablespoon of capers and some chopped parsley. I was making this for a woman who just gave birth, and I was a little afraid of adding capers. I had some, I just couldn't do it. Besides, I still don't really know what they are...and if she asked me, I didn't want that to be my answer. So I left them out.

Put the chicken on top of the linguine and pour the sauce all over the top. Add shredded parmesan to the top and ....wallah! Chicken Scallopine.


I also made a salad to go with it. This one is also super easy. Spring mix, sliced strawberries, mandarin oranges and feta cheese. Top it with Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette (preferably Newman's Own) and you have a pretty salad that took almost no prep work. (I just remembered I forgot the almond slivers! They add a nice crunch to the salad)



If you haven't tried Pilsbury's Country Italian Bread, you don't know what you're missing! It is in a can, by the biscuits, and you bake it at 350 degrees for about 25 - 30 minutes. SO GOOD!!


Here is the full recipe from Pioneer Woman's site. Happy Cooking!!
CHICKEN SCALLOPINE
Ingredients
  • 1 pound Linguine
  • 6 whole Boneless, Skinless, Trimmed Chicken Breasts
  • Salt And Pepper (to Taste)
  • Flour
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • 12 ounces, weight White Mushrooms, Sliced Thin
  • 1 cup Dry White Wine
  • Chicken Broth (optional)
  • 1 whole Lemon
  • ½ cups Heavy Cream (can Use Half And Half)
  • 1 teaspoon (heaping) Capers
  • Chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
  • Parmesan Cheese, For Topping
Preparation Instructions

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Flatten chicken breasts to uniform thickness. Salt and pepper both sides, then dredge in flour. Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry chicken breasts until golden brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.

Throw mushrooms into the pan and stir. Immediately pour in wine and chicken broth (optional), and then squeeze juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon. Stir to deglaze the pan, and then cook vigorously for 1 minute, until sauce reduces.

Pour in cream and stir, then add capers and parsley and stir. Turn off heat. Stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Don’t under salt!

Place pasta and chicken on a platter and top with every last drop of sauce. Generously sprinkle Parmesan Cheese over the top.

3 comments:

Greg Hull said...

it's 7:04 AM MST and I would knock down 3 helpings of this RIGHT now. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Jen Price said...

I might just have to have a baby just so I can have you make me this meal...NOT!! :) It looks delicious! Are you going to go see Pioneer Woman when she comes?

steve horvath said...

And delicious it was... :)