Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's Family Portrait Time

The Horvath's Family Portrait, circa 2006


So is anyone else planning to attempt the old family portrait this fall? Oh the fun we will have...snicker, cough.

Let's talk about all the potential disasters, shall we?

1.) I am married to a photographer. Photographers are not known for having much patience with taking pictures of, or with, their own families. Especially a 2 year old and a 4 year old who would rather be doing almost
anything than sitting still and posing for pictures.

2.) One of the kids misbehaves on the way to take the pictures, and you have to make a choice: do you discipline, knowing that weeping and wailing may ensue and then you have pouty grumpy child sitting in your lap on your Christmas card, or do you overlook it and set yourself up for disaster later. Hmmmmm......

3.) So you get dressed and have the kids in their cute clothes and one of any number of things happens, possibly including but not limited to snot, spit, snacks, drinks, sweat, dirt, grease, pee, or whatever sticky, nasty goodness they may find hidden in the dark crevices of their car seats.

And while we are at it, let's talk about getting to the point where you actually pick out the cute clothes that they will wear. Oh, I long for the bygone days when it was in style to all wear matching clothes in the family pictures. You know, black and denim, white and khaki. Now, the photography trends of the day state that you pick a few choices from the same color families and then coordinate, tying family members together with subtle accent pieces.

The boys fall picture, September 2007. Yes, they were in matching heaven.


***Now, I am sure I have already lost a few of you. Some of you are thinking, get a life, pull a shirt out of your closet, and take the darn picture. I am a firm believer that each of us have areas of our lives that we spend a little too much time thinking about, mine just might be different than yours.***

So I thought I would ask those of you who care to comment what your thoughts are on color choices for family pictures. I would love to hear what you have to say! Any ideas, seen any great family pictures lately, any great color combos?

Please comment, as long as it isn't, "Get a life, pull a shirt out of your closet....".


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post! i was chuckling at your numbers of things that can go wrong...the things i have to look forward to. i have a really hard time with this whole "what do we wear for family pictures?" thing. when we all took our pictures last christmas, we all wore whatever we wanted, but ended up being in all grays and browns without really trying. i think we might have all worn jeans.

if you hear any good tidbits, let me know. we're going to be doing family pics on dave's side this thanksgiving.

Amy said...

I am right there with you... Needing ideas!

Karah said...

Alright - no clue on the colors but I have a brilliant scheme in mind.

We all go meet somewhere when you're here for tgiving and we can take each other's family pictures! (ok, so I'm being purely selfish here b/c if I can't find someone to take one we just aren't getting one done LOL). You can totally say no of course. HAHAHA

Ok back to colors - I usually pick 3 colors for our family. We've done different things but typical is dark grey/white/red or black/red/light grey or brown/navy/white - things like that. I almost always do solid shirts b/c they keep the focus on the faces. I haven't even begun to think of what I want to do for our family pics...

Jen Price said...

We are also in desperate need for a family pic. We have been talking about it but haven't summoned up the courage to actually do it! It feels like such a chore, that, you're right, kids aren't exactly in to!

Also not a fan of the matching outfits but coordinating colors is great! Can't say I've seen any really great ones lately. I love cool backgrounds though!

We have a spot in our backyard where I want to attempt a pic. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the courage to actually do it!

life with the wisners said...

hmmm...thoughts on clothes?

personal style.

i know. that's really it. if you set out to do a fancy portrait, then fine. go with something monogrammed and pair it with your Sunday best. to capture a family, capture them right then. if that means everyone gets to pick out their own, go for it. everyone wear jammies? awesome.

see? i'm no help, am i? :)

Steve said...

Babe, I don't know what you are talking about. I love taking family pictures!

Courtney said...

I don't know who left that last comment, because it definitely was not MY husband!!

John, Carla & Rae Shaw said...

:Get a life, Pull a shirt out of the closet..."

Ha, couldn't resist! Seriously tho, I kinda like the matching but my hubby forbids it! I always thought a white shirt, jeans and barefoot was the way to go, but John will not cooperate!

Just have fun and cherish what ever picture you get because one of these days it will be such a hassle to round them up!

And, hope you have a great birthday!

molly marie said...

on your post: i'd have to agree with the solids in coordinating colors - usually inspired by nature... :o)

on today: Is your Birthday! Happy! hope your day is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Courtney! I loved that post! Made me laugh and also dread the day I have kids and have to endure stressful situation such as pee and grease on picture day. haha.

However, I do have ulterior motives in this comment.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY GREETINGS! I'm not much of a commenter in the blog world - but you're worth it! I hope its a year filled with blessing ... and more hilarious blogs!

ps - my opinion on family pics: go natural and throw in some earth tones in different patters - but not too matchy matchy.(I realize I've have zero experience in this area, but I am a fan of "real life".)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad I read this. When did matching clothes go out of style???? I have family pics this Sat. Helllppp!!! Okay, really, our setting is a red couch in the forest and I was thinking we all wear black with Annalise in a white dress with black polka dots. Not good, really not good! Help me out here.

And, Happy Birthday! Hope you have a fantastic day. -Lora

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Courtney!!!

shannontait said...

Have a wonderful birthday Courtney! Ya'll made mine great. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my dear friend.

Love you!

Amy said...

I tagged you, I tagged you!