Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Well, I am still recovering from Tile Tuesday.  We picked up the tile saw at 7:30am and, except for a few short breaks, worked all the way until midnight.  (Home improvement projects always look easier and quicker than they really are.)

Here is Leah cutting tile, complete with head lamp because, at this point in the day, it was after dark and we had the saw set up outside.

We had some funny moments with this saw. For one thing, it kept shocking Leah, but it wasn't shocking Steve or me. My Dad finally told us it was probably that Leah's shoes didn't have thick enough soles. Sure enough, after she changed shoes, she was fine.

We tiled the shower walls first. When I say "we", what I really mean is Leah tiled and did all the cutting, and I did all the handing her things she needed and carrying the tiles back and forth. I hope I did my gopher job well. I had some good practice at that growing up and handing my Dad tools.

We were at the accent line of tile, and we weren't sure if we should do two or three tiles high. We asked Steve, and he said, "Why don't you just add another accent line a little bit higher?" We loved the idea, and Steve was proud later as we were all talking about how much we liked it with the two lines of accent :-)


Here is what it looks like currently.

(And if you are wondering, we don't have a miniature tub. The lens I was using to capture this picture somewhat distorts things when you are close range like this. But it is great for getting a shot of a whole room while standing in the room!)

The adhesive should be set, and the next step is to grout the tile. Then we still have to repair all the walls and re-texture, paint, add the shower fixtures, install the vanity and sink faucets, put in a toilet, purchase and install lighting over the vanity, put in baseboards, towel bars......

I think we still have a lot to do.

The end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That looks REALLY good. I'm impressed. Leah looks so cute all bundled up with her scarf and headlamp. (Interesting about the shoes, too...) You guys could go in the business! It looks so great! I can't wait to see the whole thing finished...and I can't wait to come and visit and see it in person!

love you guys! Happy New Year!

Karah said...

OOooooh that's look fantastic! Tell Steve good call on the two rows. ;) You guys should be very proud of yourselves :)

Amy said...

Looking good!!! Did Steve leave today?